Over the past year, I’ve been reading blog posts from Bob Lefsetz. Bob is an entertainment business attorney, and worked for Sanctuary Music for a while. Everyday he writes blog posts breaking down different areas of the music business.
His last post was called “The New Rules” and pointed out some rules he thinks every artist should be following. They are really good, so I wanted to share them with you.
1. It doesn’t matter what kind of music you make.
2. You’ve got to be good.
3. Learn how to use Pro Tools/Logic.
4. Fans are your best friends.
5. Fans start with friends.
6. Play live as much as possible without losing money.
7. Have something to sell at gigs.
8. Social networking is for fans.
9. Stardom is on your own terms.
10. Recordings: Once you have traction, quality is key.
11. You want an album for the gig.
12. Once you’ve gained huge success, release a steady stream of music.
13. YouTube: Imperfections and amateurness work in your favor.
14. Don’t sell out to anyone, unless you’re in it for the short haul.